It's the same thing I like about art- no two people will view a piece in exactly the same way. Your experiences and preferences will color the way you see things and influence what resonates with you. Books are just like that for me.
Keeping that in mind, I've compiled the following questions for your consideration while you read.
- Do you sympathize with any of the characters? Is there anyone you just don't like?
- Since we're only seeing things from Nick's point of view, it's really his opinion of Gatsby that we see. On a few occasions, Nick chooses to ignore inconsistencies in Gatsby's story about his past and how he accumulated his money. It seems like Nick wants Gatsby to be "great" as the title implies. How do you see him?
- Are Gatsby and Tom more similar than they realize?
- What does Daisy really want? Will she ever be able to get what she wants?
- What about Gatsby's obsession with recreating the past. Is it possible? Is there a spot in your own past that you'd go back to?
- Is anyone in this story ever happy?
Enjoy your reading!