Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Review: Much Ado About Nothing


I'm not quite sure how it's already February, but here we are. I've been thinking that this month is perfect for some love stories. There's quite a bit to choose from in that arena, and I went with one of my favorites.

I'm a big Shakespeare fan. Always have been, probably always will be. There are two of his comedies that I enjoy above all the others. For this review, I'll be looking at one of them.

Much Ado About Nothing gives us the story of Benedick and Beatrice, and Claudio and Hero.

We watch Benedick and Beatrice as they engage in a battle of wits and attempt to convince everyone that they are not interested in love, and certainly are not interested in each other. It's clear from the very beginning that their true feelings are the opposite of what they proclaim.

In contrast to their refusals of love, we also watch the development of love between Claudio and Hero. This sweet young couple are the exact opposite of Benedick and Beatrice and can't seem to get enough of love. Much of the plot centers around their courtship and the effects of gossip that lead Claudio to believe Hero has been unfaithful. He publicly denounces her at the altar, and the rest of the play is spent righting the wrongs that have caused the misunderstanding. In the end, we see Hero and Claudio happily wed, while Benedick and Beatrice finally reveal their true feelings.

I always like the scheming, the mistaken identities and the revelations that Shakespeare works into his plays. That's part of why I think so many people still read what he wrote, and why people are still so enamored with his plays and their film counterparts. I've got the 1993 movie version of this play starring Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson as Benedick and Beatrice. I love it. I watch it all the time when the Big Guy is travelling for work. Their portrayal of these two characters has become so entwined with the story for me, that I can't picture the characters any other way.

Click here to read the book details on Goodreads.
Click here to find the book on Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment