Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Chocolat- Chocolate Chili Blueberry Martini

I first picked up a copy of this book after reading something else by the author and quickly found myself caught up in the world that exists in what had been a sleepy little town. I loved the author's descriptions of the places and the characters and wanted to be a part of their world.

As much as the book is about chocolate, it's also about progress and changes in relationships. We all have certain expectations that we feel we must live up to, whether they are self imposed or those placed on us by society.The characters grow in ways that they never expected or in some cases even thought possible. It's not always easy and there's much to be done in the way of breaking through prejudices and breaking down the walls that have been built up over little hurts that were allowed to grow into bigger more destructive instances.

I liked the way the movie translated those changes. You can see the town becoming more colorful and alive, and not just because of the seasonal transition. The people seem brighter, because they are happier.

It's been a few years and I actually marked a few phrases/passages that stood out to me while I was reading. (I write in my books. Not all the time, but often enough that you shouldn't be surprised to see if it you borrow a book from my shelves.) Here are a few of those.

This is one dream I mean to cling to.

For a second her face is naked in its love, hope, pride.

A good month, March, with February blowing out of the back door and spring waiting at the front. A good month for change.

"I could do with a bit more excess. From now on I'm going to be immoderate- and volatile- I shall enjoy loud music and lurid poetry. I shall be rampant," she declared with satisfaction.

I made a dessert style martini to go with this book. Anything that wasn't chocolatey and a bit decadent just wouldn't have fit. We happened to have some chocolate-chili liqueur, and it seemed like the perfect tie to the chocolate Vianne makes in her shop. I tempered the heat a bit with some blueberry flavoring and some cream. I'm going to have to make this one again! Even the Big Guy (my husband) liked it.



Chocolate Chili Blueberry Martini
1 part blueberry vodka
2 parts chocolate chili liqueur
Cream to taste

No comments:

Post a Comment