Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Da Vinci Code: Coteaux du Languedoc

As I mentioned earlier, this was the first book I read in the Robert Langdon series. I was interested by all the hype and controversy surrounding the book. I like a nice scandal every now and again, especially one related to a book.

Again I think we find ourselves following the equation that Dan Brown uses for these novels:
  1. There's a major crisis that will shake the foundation of a powerful world religion or government.
  2. There's a limited amount of time to solve the puzzle that will lead to the root of the crisis and it's solution. 
  3. There's a beautiful but slightly damaged female lead who needs to rediscover her faith in mankind and/or herself. 
  4. The criminal mastermind behind the crisis has a deep understanding of and appreciation for classical works of art, using references and actual works in their clues.
  5. Only Robert Langdon can pull all the pieces together to solve the crisis, save humanity, win the girl over, and still be back in time for his next lecture.
The way that's written makes it seem like I didn't enjoy the books. I did, I really liked The Da Vinci Code. I found it to be extremely entertaining and thought provoking. I was more than a little intrigued by the ideas presented about the relationships Christ had with those who followed him and supported him most closely during his time on Earth. Do I believe them, not necessarily. Do I think they made for some excellent fiction, absolutely.

I think that a lot of people are afraid of what it might mean to find out that there was a romantic aspect of His life, that there could have been children born of that romance and love. I don't know that I think there would be anything to be afraid of in that scenario. If anything, doesn't it make it more likely that He would understand the myriad of emotions and motives that play into our decision making? We've all made decisions that were to better the people we love or to protect our children. Would it not be possible that seeing the sacrifices people make for their children first-hand better mirrors the sacrifice God made for all of us, His children to protect us and keep us safe for all of eternity? I think it's possible.

Whether you agree with the scenario presented in the book, it probably made you think. I like a book that can do that. It's not easy to push people into a new view of something held very dear to our hearts and fundamental way of thinking and doing things. Some people were shaken, some people were mad, some people were enlightened, some people were simply entertained. Some people probably needed a glass of wine (or two) to get them through the book or to help them process the thoughts that it raised.

For this installment of the Top Shelf Bookshelf, I've decided to go for that glass of wine instead of a heavy cocktail. To recognize the time the characters spend in Paris, I've even gone with a French wine.


I poured myself a glass of this 2009 Coteaux du Languedoc from Chemin des Olivette. It's a deep red color, really rich looking, but surprisingly light. It was very crisp with some very subtle fruity notes. I'm actually having a second glass as I type this out to make sure I don't miss anything. I'm committed to you guys like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment