Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Vampires in the Lemon Grove

I usually don't go for short story collections, but this was written up in a magazine I was reading last month and the review was really good, so I thought I'd give it a try. That's probably something to keep in mind for this review. It's kind of like asking someone who doesn't like chocolate what they thought of a batch of brownies.

I wanted to like it, but I was not impressed. It was just weird and kind of unsettling. One story where girls physically transform into silk worms, an old vampire watching lemons fall, seagulls picking up debris from the future. Some interesting concepts and some interesting perspectives, but all in all not a book I'd recommend. I only gave it two stars on Goodreads, which is pretty low and rare for me.

Having said that, there are a few things that had they been longer and more in depth, I think I would have really liked them. The language was beautiful, and descriptions were wonderful. I felt like I could picture everything just as the author did. That might be enough to get me looking for something else by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment